December 28, 2017 This week’s farm veggie recipe idea:
New Year’s Black-eyed Pea Salad with carrots, purple cabbage, onion & sweet collard sprouts.
Included in box: power greens, sweet collard sprouts, purple cabbage, carrot, onion
- 2 cups cooked black eyed peas
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (if cooking peas from scratch)
- 2-3 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 5 cups chopped collard greens and/or/kale
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 of a shallot/onion chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (optional)
- black pepper
- lemon juice
- If you are going to cook black eyed peas from scratch, see notes.
- Rinse your chopped greens and and cabbage.
- In a medium pan, add 1 tbsp oil, shallot, garlic, and cabbage. Saute for 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Next add in your collard green, 1 more tbsp oil, and sea salt. Cover for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat or until greens are wilted.
- Remove from heat and place all the ingredients from the pan into a large bowl.
- Add in your carrots, cooked quinoa, cooked black eyed peas, and a splash of lemon juice.
- Season with more salt/pepper if desired.
- Toss together and serve with oil/vinegar.
if you want to cook peas from scratch. First place a 16oz bag of peas in a pot and cover with water and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar.
Let it soak for 1 hr or more.
Rinse then refill pot with water, dash of salt, and simmer peas for 2 hrs on medium. If they are still not tender after 2 hrs, simmer for 20 minutes longer.
Rinse, drain, and keep in a airtight container until ready to eat.